Somabar’s mission is to help small businesses in the service and hospitality industries succeed when human bartending is not possible. We are seeking a talented, high-energy, part-time engineer to develop firmware in Python, on embedded processors for consumer electronic devices at our office in Los Angeles. We need a solid Python and Lua programmer who also understands hardware design, Linux operating systems and RFID radio systems. Candidate will work alongside our software and mechanical engineers developing embedded firmware for use in consumer appliances. Other responsibilities will include hardware modifications, backend development and managing manufacturing test software. This opportunity provides a rich experience in the world of embedded IoT device development.
- Design, develop, improve, and maintain firmware on both existing and next-generation Somabar products.
- Collaborate with Somabar hardware, software, and UI/UX teams to deliver products with the best overall customer experience possible.
- Assist in custom PCB bring-up and low-level board testing / debugging.
- BA/BS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline.
- 7+ years of experience with Python and Lua.
- 7+ years of experience with embedded systems development.
- 3+ years of experience with embedded Linux development.
- 7+ years of experience with Linux Based operating systems (WRTNode).
- 7+ years experience Optimizing/creating hardware drivers.
- Proficient with C/C++ and Embedded – C.
- Proficient with MQTT protocols.
- Proficient understanding of REST/JSON Web Services.
- Proficient MySQL knowledge (table design, complex query creation, best practices).
Nice to have
- Experience in Microsoft Azure Cloud Services or Amazon AWS platform.
- Experience in developing IoT software.
- Experience with multithreaded embedded software design.
- Ability to understand and debug large and complex code bases.
- Strong understanding and hands-on experience with various Agile Methods.
- Ability to work independently with effective time management in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- MS degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline.
- Experience with high-power adapters.
- Experience with TCP/IP, 802.11, or Bluetooth communication protocols.
- Experience with low-level debugging tools (e.g. logic analyzers, oscilloscopes, JTAG debuggers).